Nestled in the rugged Pentland Hills, the Byre self-catering cottage offers unique family accommodation. The surrounding hills offer walking opportunities aplenty. The romantics will covet the views, the waterfall, and the beautiful picnic spots nearby.
Driving down the bumpy farm track really felt like the beginning of our amazing adventure
Set in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, this cosy retreat in the Pentland Hills is part of the beautifully converted Eastside farmstead. The double height kitchen with old flagstones is perfect for a family feast round the generous farmhouse table. Take glasses of whisky outside, wrapping up by the fire pit in your private cottage garden. Gathering round the crackling fire and watching the sun set behind the hills.
Balmy summer days are best spent with a good book in the small but perfectly formed cottage garden. Embrace slow-living with the wood-fired sauna hidden in the woodland garden - although shared, each cottage gets its own private time slot.
Start your morning with a hilltop hike from the doorstep, explore the historic streets of Edinburgh then finish the day snuggled up by the embers of the fire in the upstairs snug. Eastside is your perfect hideaway surrounded by a 3,000-acre hill farm.
Bedrooms & Bathrooms
The lower ground floor is home to a double ensuite, twin room and bathroom complete with the comfiest of beds and the fluffiest of towels.
The Byre Cottage is nestled among acres of stunning countryside crisscrossed with walking trails from the cottage doorstep. In summer months you may find it difficult to leave the cottage garden - there's no better place to enjoy the afternoon sunshine with the birdsong & distant baaing of the sheep. Light the BBQ, take a picnic into the hills, hike to the local pub or just take a moment to watch the wildlife and the world go by from the nearest hilltop.
Steam-sauna woodland yurt
Experience the relaxing and enchanting woodland steam-sauna yurt!
As a guest of the Byre, you'll be invited to book a complimentary session in the woodland spa yurt. This wood-fired steam-sauna and spring-water plunge pool is best enjoyed slowly and you'll get the chance to spend an afternoon or evening soaking up the the magical atmosphere in a private and exclusive 4 hour session.
N.B. We may need to close the steam-sauna in extreme weather conditions.
We are situated off the beaten track, hidden in a quiet glen in the Pentlands. Access to the cottage is up a 1 mile farm track. The track can be a little rough in places but shouldn't cause any problems for ordinary cars.
There is parking for one car provided in a car park (30seconds walk from cottage). Luggage + shopping may be unloaded outside the cottage. Additional parking (eg. for guests) can be arranged if necessary. We live across the farmyard and are on hand if you need us, but otherwise we'll not disturb your stay.
Because the cottage is 1 mile from the main road, we recommend the use of a car for the duration of your stay.
The cottage comes with all the home comforts you would expect including:
- 1 complimentary session in the woodland steam-sauna yurt
- Finnish sauna robes provided
- Electricity & heating is included in the price. Electricity & heating are generated by our wind turbine so the cottage is environmentally sound.
- Wood-burning stove - logs provided free of charge from homegrown timber.
- Fire pit - logs provided free of charge from homegrown timber.
- Free WIFI internet access
- All bed linen, kitchen linen & fluffy towels provided
- Well equipped kitchen with dishwasher
- Utility with washing machine & tumble dryer
- TV (freesat), Blu-ray player & complementary Netflix
- A tea tray with delicious scones, butter, jam, milk & tea
- A bouquet of locally grown flowers (when in season)
- Babies & children are very welcome. Cots and highchairs are available free of charge.
- 1Well-behaved dogs are welcome by prior arrangement with us.
(£30/dog - maximum 2 dogs)