The Cartshed is a stunning barn conversion, an (almost) mirror image of the WashHouse, every detail has been considered; a seamless blend of old and new. At the end of a winding farm track, this stunning architectural hideaway is surrounded by the rugged heather hills & glens of the Pentland Hills Regional Park.
We cannot wait to show you what we have been working on. It has been well worth the wait!
A modern interpretation of a barn conversion, this architectural gem fits beautifully into its 18th Century farm yard. The original sandstone exterior hides a bright and crisp interior with huge windows framing the heather hills and woodland garden.
Beautifully designed, the light & airy double-height space takes on a Scandinavian feel through its muted use of colour and simple materials. Light floods through the windows with plained ash window seat and generous sheepskins. An open-plan space is thoughtfully divided through level changes, perforated screens and bespoke furniture.
Start your day with a hike into the heather-clad hills on your doorstep. Embrace slow-living with the wood-fired sauna hidden in the woodland garden - although shared, each cottage gets its own private time slot. Explore Edinburgh or curl up by the wood burning stove with a good book. Eastside is your perfect hideaway surrounded by our 3,000-acre hill farm.
Kitchen & living room
The open plan kitchen and living room are separated from the rest of the space by a wooden ash screen. The living room is on the lower level - small but perfectly formed with wood burning stove and window seat with lots of lovely sheepskins. The kitchen is on a slightly higher level up a folded steel staircase. A sleek, bespoke handcrafted kitchen/ tv unit book case divides the space in two.
Bedroom & bathroom
Behind the ash screen is a cosy bed nook with the comfiest of double beds. Sink into crisp linen, woollen blankets and the softest pillows. Fall asleep in perfect comfort listening to the crackle of the stove and the wind in the trees.
The bathroom has white marble tiles and a rain shower. The polished concrete floor has underfloor heating throughout.
From the bedroom, a ladder leads upstairs to a hidden mezzanine. Perfect for star-gazing or whiling away the day with a book from our curated collection.
The Cartshed is nestled among acres of stunning countryside crisscrossed with walking trails from the cottage doorstep. Take a picnic into the hills, hike to the local pub or just take a moment to watch the wildlife and the world go by from the nearest hilltop.
Steam-sauna woodland yurt
Experience the relaxing and enchanting woodland steam-sauna yurt!
As a guest of the Cartshed, you'll be invited to book a complimentary session in the woodland spa yurt. This wood-fired steam-sauna and spring-water plunge pool is best enjoyed slowly and you'll get the chance to spend an afternoon or evening soaking up the the magical atmosphere in a private and exclusive 4 hour session.
We are situated off the beaten track, hidden in a quiet glen in the Pentlands. Access to the cottage is up a 1 mile farm track. The track can be a little rough in places but shouldn't cause any problems for ordinary cars.
There is parking for one car provided in a carpark (30seconds walk from cottage). Luggage + shopping may be unloaded outside the cottage. Additional parking (eg. for guests) can be arranged if necessary. We live across the farmyard and are on hand if you need us, but otherwise we'll not disturb your stay.
Because the cottage is 1 mile from the main road, we recommend the use of a car for the duration of your stay.
The cottage comes with all the home comforts you would expect including:
- 1 complimentary session in the woodland steam-sauna yurt
- Finnish sauna robes provided
- Electricity & heating is included in the price. Heating and hot water are generated by biomass boiler, burning wood harvested on the farm.
- Wood-burning stove - logs provided free of charge from homegrown timber. (fair usage policy)
- Free WIFI internet access
- All bed linen, kitchen linen & fluffy towels provided
- Well equipped kitchen with oven, hob, dishwasher, & fridge (with icebox)
- TV (Freesat) with complimentary Netflix
- A bouquet of locally grown flowers (when in season)
- Unfortunately not suitable for children and mobile infants.
- 1 pre-crawling infant will be welcome and a cot & highchair are available (book as extras within the booking process)
- Not suitable for dogs or pets
Strictly no smoking.
Accepted Payment Methods
Visa, Mastercard, American Express, JCB (via Stripe)
Check-In & Check-Out Times
- Earliest check-in 4.00pm (latest 11.00pm)
- Check-out by 10.00am.
Minimum stay lengths
- In the low season we have a 3 night minimum stay with Friday and Monday changeovers.
- In high seasons we generally have a 7 night minimum stay with Friday to Friday changeovers.
- We can be more flexible with longer stays so please ask.
- We can welcome 1 pre-mobile infant (not yet crawling) in the Cartshed.
- We can provide a cots and a high chair (added within booking process).
- The Cartshed is unsuitable for toddlers and children (due to unprotected steps and wood stove). Please consider the Steading or Byre cottages instead.